On November 7, 2019 Christian Clearing House (CCH) will celebrate 25 years of providing emergency assistance for our neighbors facing financial, emotional or spiritual needs in Hancock County.
In 1994, CCH opened the doors with an annual budget of just $2,500. Over the 25 years, our budget has grown to an annual budget of more than $400,000. We opened our doors in 1994 at First Christian Church (now Gateway on Main St.), moving to The Family Center in 2007. The agency originated as a totally volunteer organization. Today, CCH has two paid staff and eighty plus volunteers. The agency has been blessed with many loving and caring individuals over the years — making an impact locally.
Here are just a few interesting statistics:
· 13 original participating congregations have grown to 52
· CCH has provided $3,071,967 in direct client aid.
· Neighbor to Neighbor has provided over $500,0000 (assisting with electric bills).
· Eighty-thousand + requests for assistance.
· CCH has had two Executive Director’s Gene Kelsey (1994-2014) & Tammy Stahl .
· 2,000 children have received a new pair of shoes.
· Annually CCH gives out over 900 backpacks filled with school supplies.
The numbers are astonishing, and the stories we often listen to can be heartbreaking. CCH is a busy place—today, at the office CCH helped several families needing to feed their families (school is out for the summer and children will require two additional meals daily), a lady needing her auto brakes repaired so she can work, prescription medication for a cancer patient, 3 families facing disconnection of a utility and we provided a new pair of steel toed boots to start a job. Not only did CCH help financially, but help was provided by giving needed hygiene items from the Caring Cupboard, and referring to other programs that can better assist on a long-term basis. Mostly we listen to our clients and try to offer direction and support during difficult times. With YOUR continued support and prayers we are making an impact on those with needs locally. Thank you for supporting CCH for the past 25 years and we look forward to serving our community for the next 25 years.